Posted on Jul 24, 2020 11:44 pm
When it comes to deciding on whether to get traditional braces or Invisalign, looking at the pros and cons of each will help. Both have their merits, and both have their perceived problems. The battle between Invisalign Vs. Braces aren’t just a matter of personal preference in most cases.
If your dentist has recommended braces, you should seek consultation from an orthodontist. At 320 Dental Studio, Dr. Joseph Haack, and our staff are ready to discuss both and assist you in making the best decision for your smile.
View this post on Instagram
Invisalign Vs. Braces – The Ultimate Showdown
Many people look to Invisalign as the savior of smiles. Although, based on appearance alone, Invisalign would win this showdown. You should take a look at the benefits of both before making a decision. Consult with 320 Dental Studio to discuss a treatment plan that works for you. The initial consultation is free.
Invisalign Pros and Cons
Invisalign tray alignment systems are the new kid on the block. Treatment duration varies depending on the severity of the initial misalignment.
- Almost invisible, Invisalign can be worn without anyone aside from the wearer knowing.
- Invisalign aligners are comfortable, except for a slight amount of discomfort when shifting to a new set of trays.
- There are no dietary restrictions because you remove liners for eating and drinking.
- Oral hygiene is easy because you remove the trays for routine brushing and flossing.
- Because you are given several sets of aligners per visit, with a schedule, you have fewer appointments (less time off school or work).
- Dental hygiene is crucial. You should not eat or drink anything except plain water while wearing your aligners and teeth. You always need to brush and floss before reinserting the trays.
- Aligners should be worn 20 to 22 hours per day to be effective.
- Removing aligners for public eating and drinking can be inconvenient.
- Aligners can be easily lost if removed and placed in a napkin, pocket, or just forgotten after a meal.
- Treatment requires discipline and diligence.
The cosmetic benefits of Invisalign reduce self-consciousness but require more patient action in following through with treatment instructions. Invisalign wearers must have a dedication to improving their smile.
Traditional Braces Pros and Cons
By some accounts, braces have existed since 400-300 BC. There have been many advances in treatments, and braces in the 21st century are no longer haunting nightmares of teenagers.
Braces are available in a wide variety of styles, materials, and colors, including stainless steel, colored ceramic, and even gold-colored.
Traditional braces are suitable for all types of alignment issues.
Because a more aggressive movement of teeth is possible with traditional braces, treatment time may be shorter.
Traditional braces are visible unless you opt for sub-lingual (installed behind the teeth). Even tooth-colored braces include some visible elements.
Braces remain affixed to your teeth through the entire treatment period.
Not as comfortable. Adjustments cause discomfort, and the wires and brackets can irritate the inside of the mouth.
Diet limitations mean no hard or sticky foods during the treatment period. Braces make it more difficult to brush and floss to keep teeth as clean as they need to be.
Your orthodontist will be able to assist you in deciding whether your treatment should include Invisalign or traditional braces.
Let Us Help You Decide
As you can see, the battle between Invisalign Vs. Braces aren’t as simple as a cosmetic preference. Get all the facts today with the free consultation at 320 Dental Studio. Follow the instructions on our contact form. Our office is conveniently located at 1400 Hawthorne Street, Suite 4, Alexandria, MN 56308. You can request additional information by calling our office at (320) 763-7484. Dr, Haack and our excellent staff are ready to make your smile shine.